#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • In this candid and gripping memoir, President George W. Bush describes the critical decisions that shaped his presidency and personal life.
George W. Bush served as president of the United States during eight of the most consequential years in American history. The decisions that reached his desk impacted people around the world and defined the times in which we live.
Decision Pointsbrings readers inside the Texas governor’s mansion on the night of the 2000 election, aboard Air Force One during the harrowing hours after the attacks of September 11, 2001, into the Situation Room moments before the start of the war in Iraq, and behind the scenes at the White House for many other historic presidential decisions.
For the first time, we learn President Bush’s perspective and insights on:
• His decision to quit drinking and the journey that led him to his Christian faith
• The selection of the vice president, secretary of defense, secretary of state, Supreme Court justices, and other key officials
• His relationships with his wife, daughters, and parents, including heartfelt letters between the president and his father on the eve of the Iraq War
• His administration’s counterterrorism programs, including the CIA’s enhanced interrogations and the Terrorist Surveillance Program
• Why the worst moment of the presidency was hearing accusations that race played a role in the federal government’s response to Hurricane Katrina, and a critical assessment of what he would have done differently during the crisis
• His deep concern that Iraq could turn into a defeat costlier than Vietnam, and how he decided to defy public opinion by ordering the troop surge
• His legislative achievements, including tax cuts and reforming education and Medicare, as well as his setbacks, including Social Security and immigration reform
• The relationships he forged with other world leaders, including an honest assessment of those he did and didn’t trust
• Why the failure to bring Osama bin Laden to justice ranks as his biggest disappointment and why his success in denying the terrorists their fondest wish—attacking America again—is among his proudest achievements
A groundbreaking new brand of presidential memoir, Decision Pointswill captivate supporters, surprise critics, and change perspectives on eight remarkable years in American history—and on the man at the center of events.
An enlightening look into the impossible decisions that cross the Presidents desk and why we should be grateful for the county we love55
This is a must read for anyone interested in learning the truth from the man who presided over our great country during some of its most turbulent times. Don't take the medias opinions as fact. President Bush's time in office will be heralded in history as we see the fruits of his labor continue to shape the world towards freedom and liberty for all.55
Absolutely nothing new just a fox news scripted version of horrible decisions with a dash of fake feel good patriotism. I was really hoping to find some new insights into the man but feel totally disappointed with the book.15
It was a very good read, although I don't like bush I found this to be a very fascinating book. I wish these kids would stop rating the book a 1 star just because they hate bush.55
George bush has to be one of the worst presidents to ever live! Do we write biographies about everyone nowadays?!15
Great man who was a great President!55
A touching and personal account of some key moments in one of our great presidents. I highly recommend this book.55
Kept me interested from start to finish.55
Whether you agree, disagree, hate, love, or fall somewhere between these extremes on President Bush's time, it is imperative to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. We can sit and critique or praise him with little to no perspective, but this would do a great disservice to him and our country. Read it and give him the respect to explain himself to you and then make your determinations.55
George Bush was a moron and fool who plunged this country into ruin! And this book was a clear reflection of that! God, Lets high five him for being able to correctly spell Decision,15