Hollywood’s script guru teaches you how to write a screenplay in “the ‘bible’ of screenwriting” (The New York Times)—now celebrating forty years of screenwriting success!
Syd Field’s books on the essential structure of emotionally satisfying screenplays have ignited lucrative careers in film and television since 1979. In this revised edition of his premiere guide, the underpinnings of successful onscreen narratives are revealed in clear and encouraging language that will remain wise and practical as long as audiences watch stories unfold visually—from hand-held devices to IMAX to virtual reality . . . and whatever comes next.
As the first person to articulate common structural elements unique to successful movies, celebrated producer, lecturer, teacher and bestselling author Syd Field has gifted us a classic text. From concept to character, from opening scene to finished script, here are fundamental guidelines to help all screenwriters—novices and Oscar-winners—hone their craft and sell their work.
In Screenplay, Syd Field can help you discover:
• Why the first ten pages of every script are crucial to keeping professional readers’ interest
• How to visually “grab” these influential readers from page one, word one
• Why structure and character are the basic components of all narrative screenplays
• How to adapt a novel, a play, or an article into a saleable script
• Tips on protecting your work—three ways to establish legal ownership of screenplays
• Vital insights on writing authentic dialogue, crafting memorable characters, building strong yet flexible storylines (form, not formula), overcoming writer's block, and much more
Syd Field is revered as the original master of screenplay story structure, and this guide continues to be the industry’s gold standard for learning the foundations of screenwriting.
Using this book I was able to complete not only my first screenplay, but I was able to finally finish a creative project. The process works. It remains to be seen whether or not I’ll be able to sell anything I write, but the victory for me is in finishing it, from idea to fully formed story.55
The book was a great read.55
The book will always be an essential base material if you seriously want to write your screenplay right.55
This book was exactly what I needed; it provided a structural framework onto which I could begin to sculpt my idea. I learned a lot about the tools, the necessary steps in story telling and how to walk through them. I really enjoyed it and feel like my eyes have been opened up.55
Very simple process, step by step explanation. If only I could find the time to finish my script!!!!55